LIGHT GARLIC SHRIMP BAKED PENNE
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 lb. raw, deveined tail-off shrimp
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 ounces whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes with garlic
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 6 ounces fat free evaporated milk (about half of a can)
- 1 ounce light cream cheese
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese for topping
- In a skillet, brown 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic in olive oil. Saute for 1 minute or until garlic is soft and fragrant. Add shrimp and cook about 3 minutes on each side, until no longer pink.
- Cook pasta as directed until al dente. Drain and return to pan. Drain tomatoes and add to the pasta. Add cooked shrimp.
- In a small skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter and add minced garlic over medium-high heat. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add flour and stir until a soft, sticky mixture forms – about 1 minute.
- Add half of the evaporated milk and whisk until smooth. As it cooks, the mixture will start to thicken and bubble – when it does, add the rest of the evaporated milk.
- As the mixture thickens and bubbles again, add the cream cheese and whisk until smooth.
- As the mixture thickens, add the chicken stock to thin out the sauce. Season with salt to taste.
- Pour sauce immediately over pasta and mix gently. Pour into a small baking dish. Top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 10-15 minutes or until golden brown on top.