HALIBUT WITH PEPITAS, CAPERS, TOMATOES & BASIL (LOW CARB)
Ingredients (Serves 4)
2 tablespoons pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
4 6 -ounce halibut fillets
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes (quartered if they’re big)
1/4 cup torn fresh basil, plus a handful of small leaves for garnish
- In a small, dry skillet over medium-low heat, toast the pepitas lightly. Don’t allow them to brown. As soon as you begin to smell them, remove the pan from the heat and transfer to a large plate. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Sprinkle the halibut on both sides with 1 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet with an ovenproof handle over medium-high heat until it begins to shimmer but is not smoking.
- Place the fillets skin side up in the hot oil and sear until the fish begins to turn color, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turn the fillets and add the lemon juice, wine, and butter to the pan.
- As soon as the butter melts and becomes foamy, add the capers and tomatoes and simmer until the tomatoes release some juices, about 1 minute.
- Place the pan in the oven until the fish is cooked through, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Baste the fish with some of the juices and transfer to serving plates.
- Add the cup torn basil, pepitas, and the remaining teaspoon of salt to the pan juices and stir until the basil is slightly wilted.
- Spoon the mixture over the fish, garnish with fresh basil leaves, and serve.