FRIED PICKLES WITH HORSERADISH SAUCE
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon drained horseradish
2 teaspoons ketchup
1/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
Peanut or vegetable oil, for frying
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups sliced dill pickles, drained
- Make the sauce: Mix the mayonnaise, horseradish, ketchup and Cajun seasoning in a bowl; set aside.
- Fry the pickles: Heat 1 inch peanut oil in a pot over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 375 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, whisk the flour, Cajun seasoning, Italian seasoning, cayenne pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 cup water in a large bowl until smooth.
- Spread the pickles on paper towels and pat dry.
- Add half of the pickles to the batter and toss to coat.
- Remove from the batter using a slotted spoon, letting the excess drip off, and add to the oil one at a time.
- Fry until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes; remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Return the oil to 375 degrees F and repeat with the remaining pickles and batter.
- Serve immediately with the prepared sauce.