BACON & HERB ROAST TURKEY BREAST
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 3 strips thick-cut bacon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped sage leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly chopped rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 (5 1/2 to 6-pound) whole turkey breast, rinsed and patted dry
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line a shallow roasting pan or baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Cook the bacon in a medium skillet until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of the rendered bacon fat separately.
- When the bacon has cooled, chop it finely and transfer to a small bowl.
- Add the garlic, sage, rosemary, oregano, thyme, butter, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper. Using a small spoon, mix thoroughly to combine and form a paste.
- Using your fingertips, gently loosen the skin on both sides of the turkey breast so that it is separated from the flesh.
- Divide the herb paste in half and gently spread half between the skin and flesh on each side of the breast.
- Season the outside of the turkey breast with the remaining teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
- Brush the turkey all over with the reserved bacon fat.
- Place prepared turkey breast in the prepared pan and roast, uncovered, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the deep portion of the breast registers 165 degrees F (1 hour to 1 hour and 10 or 15 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 20 minutes before carving into thin slices.
- Serve with the pan drippings.