“THE BROOKLYN”: NEW YORK STYLE PIZZA
A New York Style Pizza you’ll be tempted to eat with a knife and fork but do it the “Big Apple” way and fold it over and eat it with your hands!
* This recipe will make 2 14″ pizzas. Add or delete ingredients depending upon the desired number of pizzas.
** Make dough the day before and refrigerate over night.
Flour: (either bread or all purpose) 3 cups.
Warm water (not hot or cold): 1 cup.
Active Dry Yeast: 2 1/4 tsp (or 1 packet).
Salt: 2 tsp.
Sugar: 1 tsp.
Olive Oil: 1.5 tsp.
1. Place water in mixing bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, mix salt and yeast into the flour.
3. Combine flour/salt/yeast mixture into water and mix until all the flour has been incorporated.
4. After flour has been completely incorporated, add oil and kneed for 4-5 minutes.
5. Divide dough in half into two balls.
6. Place each dough ball into a zip lock freezer bag, seal and place into refrigerator overnight.
7. The following day, remove dough balls 1-2 hours before baking and allow dough to warm to room temperature.
8. Preheat oven to 550 degrees (place pizza stone in oven if you have one) and allow 1 hour to heat up.
9. Open each dough ball, transfer to a pre-floured cut mat and roll into a thin layer.
10. Transfer onto your pizza pan and form 1/2 inch pronounced edge around the pizza dough.
1. Ladle tomato sauce and spread evenly over the dough base of each pie.
2. Chop up 1/4 cup of fresh basil for each pie and spread over the sauce.
3. Cut up a 1 lb. whole mozzarella cheese block into quarter inch slices and place evenly on each pie.
4. Add additional desired toppings.
5. Place in oven and cook 4-6 minutes for each pie or until crust is browned on top and cheese has melted.