Ingredients (Serves 6)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 large carrot, diced
1/3 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 28 -ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
1 14 -ounce can crushed tomatoes
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 15 -ounce can low-sodium kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add the celery and carrot and cook until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the green beans, dried oregano and basil, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste; cook 3 more minutes.
- Add the diced and crushed tomatoes and the chicken broth to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in the kidney beans and pasta and cook until the pasta and vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt. Ladle into bowls and top with the parmesan and chopped basil.
- 1 cup elbow pasta