ITALIAN SHRIMP FRANCESE
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1 1/4 pounds extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 20 shrimp)
4 large eggs
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
Pure olive oil, for frying
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup dry white wine
Juice of 1 1/2 lemons
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Butterfly the shrimp: Make a deep cut along the outer curved edge, then spread open like a book. Pat dry.
- Whisk the eggs with 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1 tablespoon parsley in a bowl.
- Heat about 1/8 inch olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Put the flour in a shallow bowl. Working in batches, dredge the shrimp in the flour, dip in the egg mixture and add to the skillet cut-side down; fry, turning, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Pour out any oil from the skillet and wipe clean.
- Add the broth, wine and lemon juice and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until the sauce is slightly reduced, 4 minutes.
- Push the tomatoes to one side; whisk in the butter a few pieces at a time.
- Stir in the shrimp and the remaining 1 tablespoon parsley.
- Meanwhile, put the spinach in a microwave-safe bowl, sprinkle with water and season with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and pierce the plastic; microwave until wilted, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Divide the spinach and shrimp mixture among plates and top with the sauce.