CLASSIC CAESAR SALAD
- 1 head Romaine lettuce
- ½ cup olive oil, plus ¼ cup
- 1 small baguette or small loaf of crusty bread
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 oz anchovy fillets (Optional)
- 1 egg
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- Bring a quart of water to a simmer in a small saucepan. Simmer the egg in the shell for one minute, then remove the egg and chill in a cold water bath.
- Separate the lettuce leaves, wash and thoroughly dry them, then refrigerate.
- Remove crusts from the bread and cut it into ½-inch cubes. You want about 2 cups of bread cubes.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add ¼ cup olive oil and heat for another minute. Add bread cubes and sauté until crispy and golden. Remove bread and drain on paper towels.
- In a glass bowl, mash garlic and anchovies (if desired) with a fork so that they form a paste.
- Crack the coddled egg into the garlic-anchovy mixture and add the lemon juice. Beat until smooth.
- Slowly add the remaining olive oil while whisking continuously.
- Season to taste with Kosher salt, black pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Add half the grated cheese.
- Tear Romaine leaves into bite-sized pieces and transfer to a large bowl.
- Pour dressing over leaves and toss until coated. Add the croutons and toss again.
- Plate and serve immediately, topped with remaining cheese.