STEAK PIZZAIOLA (LOW CARB)
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1 1/4 pounds boneless sirloin steak (about 1 inch thick), excess fat trimmed
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, smashed
1 large onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 bell peppers (1 red, 1 yellow), sliced 1/2 inch thick
4 jarred pepperoncini, drained and thinly sliced
1 15 -ounce can crushed tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Pinch of red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Sprinkle the steak all over with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the steak and sear until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the garlic to the skillet. Once it sizzles, add the onion and bell peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until they soften slightly, about 4 minutes.
- Add the pepperoncini, tomatoes, oregano, red pepper flakes and 3/4 cup water and stir to combine. Bring to a rapid simmer, then nestle the steak in the sauce and simmer, turning once, until medium rare, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest about 5 minutes. Continue simmering the sauce until thickened, about 3 more minutes.
- Thinly slice the steak against the grain and divide among plates. Top with the sauce and parsley.