PASTA WITH RED PEPPER SAUCE (LOW SODIUM)
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 6 medium red sweet peppers, chopped, or two 12-ounce jars roasted red sweet peppers, drained
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup loosely packed snipped fresh basil or 2 tablespoons dried basil, crushed
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 8 ounces hot cooked whole wheat or regular pasta, such as penne, cavatelli, or tortellini
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- For sauce, in a large skillet cook sweet peppers and garlic in oil over medium heat about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Or, if using peppers from a jar, in a 2-quart saucepan cook garlic in hot oil for 3 to 4 minutes or until light brown.)
- Place half of the pepper-garlic mixture in a blender container or food processor bowl. Cover; blend or process until nearly smooth.
- Add half each of the water, basil, tomato paste, and vinegar. Cover and blend or process with several on-and-off turns until basil is just chopped and mixture is nearly smooth.
- Transfer to a 2-quart saucepan. Repeat with remaining peppers, water, basil, tomato paste, and vinegar; transfer to the saucepan.
- Cook and stir sauce over medium heat until heated through.
- Serve sauce over pasta. If desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.