CJ’S TEN POUND LASAGNA
- 1 lb. box lasagna noodles
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil.
- 1 cup chopped onions.
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped pieces.
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic.
- 1 pound very lean ground sirloin.
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage.
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes, drained.
- 1 6 oz. can of tomato paste.
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil.
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano.
- 2 tablespoons ground red pepper.
- 1 tablespoon hot red pepper flakes.
- 1 teaspoon sea salt.
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 30 oz. ricotta cheese.
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese.
- 2 lbs grated mozzarella cheese.
- 3 large eggs.
- 16 oz. fresh spinach (cut stems from the leaves).
- In a large mixing bowl, mix ground sirloin and sausage together with your hands blending the meats together thoroughly.
- Brown meat in a skillet, drain excess liquid grease.
- Over medium heat, add all remaining sauce ingredients, stirring thoroughly to mix evenly.
- Simmer for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- In a separate pan, lightly cook down the fresh spinach to about half its original size but not fully cooked, stirring often.
- Prepare Lasagna noodles. Boil in salted water 7 – 8 minutes until Al Dente (not fully tender). Drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large bowl, stir the spinach, ricotta, mozarella and parmesan cheese & eggs together until evenly blended.
- Spray 13×9 inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Spread sauce on the coated baking dish.
- Assemble by covering the sauce with a layer of lasagna noodles. Overlap them.
- Spread a portion of the cheese mixture over the noodles.
- Repeat steps twice more: sauce, noodles and cheese mixture with the sauce as your top layer.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top.
- Cover assembled lasagna dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake covered for approximately 40 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for approximately 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let lasagna stand for 15 minutes before cutting.