CHICKEN PICCATA (LOW CARB)
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1 pound chicken scaloppini (about 4 ounces each)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour, divided
3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon, zest reserved for optional garnish, about 2 tablespoons juice
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
1 tablespoon capers, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Baby arugula for garnish
Whole-wheat angel hair pasta or roasted potatoes, for serving
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon flour.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until very hot; cook the cutlets until opaque throughout, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer the cutlets to a plate. (Reserve the skillet.) Reduce the heat under the skillet to medium.
- Add the remaining teaspoon oil and garlic to the same skillet; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Whisk together the broth, lemon juice and 1 teaspoon flour, and add to the pan.
- Simmer sauce until reduced and thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the vinegar, parsley and capers.
- Swirl in the butter until sauce is shiny and slightly thickened.
- Serve chicken with the sauce.
- Toss the arugula and freshly grated lemon zest with a light drizzle of olive oil; season to taste with salt and pepper, scatter over chicken.
- Serve with pasta or potatoes as desired.