CARIBBEAN TOFU SKEWERS (LOW SODIUM)
Ingredients (sERVES 4)
- 1 peeled and cored fresh pineapple
- 1 16 – 18 ounce package extra-firm tofu (fresh bean curd), drained and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Jamaican jerk seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 small red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 cup 1-inch pieces of red, yellow, orange, and/or green sweet pepper
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Drain pineapple, reserving the juice. Cut pineapple into 1-inch cubes; cover and chill until needed.
- Place tofu in a resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish.
- For marinade, in a small bowl combine reserved pineapple juice, lime juice, olive oil, jerk seasoning, salt, and garlic. Pour over tofu. Seal bag; turn to coat tofu. Marinate in the refrigerator for 8 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Drain tofu, reserving marinade. On eight 12-inch skewers,* alternately thread tofu, pineapple chunks, onion wedges, and sweet pepper.
- Lightly coat assembled skewers with cooking spray.
- For a charcoal grill, place tofu skewers on the rack of the uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill about 8 minutes or until sweet peppers are crisp tender, turning to brown tofu evenly and brushing occasionally with marinade.
- (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place tofu skewers on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)