CLAMS WITH PORK AND GOLDEN GARLIC
Ingredients (Serves 4)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/4 pound ground pork
1/2 cup dry white wine
40 littleneck clams, scrubbed
2 tablespoons Chinese black-bean chile sauce
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1. In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the garlic and cook over moderately low heat until golden brown, about 1 minute. With a slotted spoon, transfer the garlic to a plate.
2. Add the ground pork to the skillet and cook over high heat, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon until no pink remains, about 1 minute.
3. Add the white wine and the clams, cover and cook until the clams open, about 3 minutes. As each clam opens, transfer it to a bowl.
4. Stir the black-bean sauce into the juices in the skillet.
5. Add the clams, garlic and scallions and stir well.
6. Transfer the stir-fry to bowls.
*Optional: Serve with brown rice (that will increase carb levels in this dish).