TEQUILA CHICKEN QUESADILLAS (Low Carb)
Ingredients (Serves 4)
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, julienned
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 dashes cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
1 clove garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1 green bell pepper, julienned
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 ounce tequila
8 ounces Colby Jack cheese, Monterey Jack, or Cheddar, shredded
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons sliced scallions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Make the soy flour flat bread: In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy flour, sugar substitute, salt, eggs, heavy cream, and club soda to make a smooth, thick, pancake-like batter.
- Spray pizza pans generously with the vegetable oil spray.
- Using a rubber spatula, spread the batter as thinly and evenly as possible over the 2 pans.
- Bake for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until lightly golden brown and firm to touch.
- In a large saute pan or wok, heat oil over high heat.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper, cayenne, cumin, and garlic, and add to the hot oil.
- Next add the peppers and onions, and remove pan from the heat and add tequila.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, or until chicken is cooked thoroughly. Keep warm.
- Cut 1 flat bread into 4 pieces.
- On 2 pieces, layer cheese, cooked chicken mixture, and more cheese, and cover with the other 2 pieces. (Wrap the other flatbread and freeze for another use).
- Melt butter until very hot in a saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Add quesadillas and cook for about 2 minutes on each side until toasty and the cheese is melted.
- Cut quesadillas into 3 pieces each, garnishing with cilantro and scallions, and serve with salsa picante, guacamole, and sour cream, if desired.