CJ’s FRENCH QUARTER JAMBALAYA
Call it spicy. “Call it kicked up” I’ll use words like tasty and authentic to describe this traditional southern creole dish. This dish has everything in it but the kitchen sink.
Chicken, sausage, bacon, shrimp plus loads of vegetables, rice and spices join together in an explosion in your mouth.
Mardi Gras is coming up. Consider making this dish part of your party celebration.
Ingredients (8 servings)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced into bite sized pieces.
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped.
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped.
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped.
- sea salt to taste.
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning.
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes.
- 2 cups white uncooked rice.
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce.
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes with juice.
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic.
- 2 cups chicken broth.
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme.
- 1 pound peeled, deveined medium shrimp (30-40 pieces).
- 2 medium sized boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- 1 package of thick sliced bacon, slice into 1″ pieces.
- Cook chicken breasts in a pan to mostly done. Chop into bite sized pieces. Set aside.
- Cook bacon strips to medium. Cut into 1 inch pieces, drain excess grease.
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Stir in the sausage, bacon and chicken pieces. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, and celery; season with salt and Cajun seasoning, red pepper flakes and Worcestershire sauce. Cook and stir until the vegetables are soft (6 to 8 minutes).
- Stir in the rice until evenly coated in the vegetable mixture, then pour in the tomatoes with juice, garlic, chicken broth and thyme (If dish appears too dry, add another 1/2 cup of broth).
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
7. Cut off tails of shrimp prior to adding to pot.
8. After 20 minutes, stir in the shrimp, and cook 10 minutes uncovered until the shrimp turn pink and are no longer translucent in the center.
9.Remove the pot from the heat, and let stand 5 minutes and serve.