ITALIAN GREEN BEANS
Take ordinary green beans and make an extraordinary side dish!
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, washed and trimmed.
- 3 ounces pancetta (Italian bacon), chopped.
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced.
- sea salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the green beans and boil 3 to 4 minutes until just tender. Drain beans and immediately plunge into ice water. Allow to sit in ice water until cold, then drain well, and set aside.
- Cook pancetta in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crispy, then set aside. Reduce heat to medium, stir shallots into the pancetta fat, and cook gently until the shallots have turned dark golden brown, about 10 minutes. Place pancetta and green beans in skillet; toss and cook until warmed through, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving.