SALLY’s FOUR CHEESE PENNE CASSEROLE
One of the kings of comfort food!
Bread Crumb Topping
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs.
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt.
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper.
Mix bread crumb mixture together in a small bowl and set aside.
Penne Pasta Casserole
- 4 ounces Italian Fontina cheese, shredded.
- 4 ounces Gorgonzola cheese, crumbles.
- 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated.
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated.
- 1 pound Penne pasta.
- 1 tablespoon sea salt.
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter.
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour.
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream.
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position.
- Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to rolling boil in a stock pot.
- In a large separate bowl, combine cheeses, set aside.
- Add pasta and 1 tablespoon salt to boiling water, stirring to separate pasta.
- Melt butter in separate small saucepan over medium low heat.Bake
- Whisk flour into butter until no lumps remain (about 30 seconds).
- Gradually whisk in heavy cream, increase heat to medium, bring to boil.
- Stir occasionally, reduce heat back to medium low and simmer 1 minute.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and add the ground black pepper (1/4 teaspoon).
- Cover cream mixture to keep it warm, remove from heat and set aside.
- Once the Penne pasta is al dente, drain pasta.
- Add Penne pasta to bowl with cheeses.
- Immediately pour cream mixture over the pasta.
- Cover bowl with foil or lid and let sit for 3 minutes.
- Uncover bowl and stir all ingredients together with spatula until all cheeses are blended
- Transfer Penne pasta ingredients to a greased 9×13 baking dish, spread evenly.
- Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over top of pasta.
- Bake until topping is golden brown (about 7 minutes). Serve immediately.
* Optional items to include: diced tomatoes and fresh basil.