- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt.
- 3/4 teaspoons black pepper.
- 3/4 teaspoons paprika.
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard.
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
- 1/4 teaspoon ground dry sage.
- 1 5 pound chicken, rinsed, patted dry.
- extra virgin olive oil.
- 1 12 oz. can of beer.
1. Preheat gas grill.
2. In a small bowl, mix the dry ingredients together to form a rub. Brush entire chicken with extra virgin olive oil. Season the chicken with two tablespoons of the rub. Sprinkle the remainder of the rub inside the cavity of the chicken and set aside.
3. Open can of beer pouring out about 1/4 cup and punch an extra hole in the top using a bottle opener with a piercing point. Carefully stand the beer can in the center of the grill and, over indirect medium heat, place the cavity end of the chicken over the beer can.
4.Close the grill lid and cook the chicken until an instant read thermometer reads 165 degrees F. in the breast and 180 degrees in the thigh (approximately 1 to 1-1/2 hours).
5. To remove from the grill, use tongs to hold chicken steady and slide a large spatula underneath the beer can to keep it stable.
6. Transfer to a work surface and, using the tongs, remove and discard the beer can.
7. Let chicken stand for 10 minutes before carving.