CJ’s ASPARAGUS FRANCAIS
Fresh sauteed and lightly seasoned asparagus spears topped with a tasty homemade Hollandaise sauce.
- Chop off ends of fresh asparagus spears.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in large skillet.
- Place asparagus spears in pan, spread evenly.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over top of asparagus.
- Cover with lid and cook on low heat (10-12 minutes or until lightly tender – do not overcook!).
- Using spatula, turn spears periodically to ensure balanced cooking and spears are covered with butter/oil.
- Top with Hollandaise sauce and serve immediately.
*Timing and following directions to the letter is critical for a successful sauce.
- 3 egg yolks.
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons fresh squeezed juice from lemon.
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted.
- 1 Teaspoon ground white pepper.
- 1 Teaspoon ground paprika.
- Sea Salt to taste.
- Add egg yolks to medium sauce pan.
- Whisk until lemon yellow and slightly thick (approximately 1 minute).
- Add lemon juice, continue to whisk.
- Turn burner on and set to very low heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons cold butter, whisking as you do.
- Continue whisking and add other 2 tablespoons cold butter until sauce thickens enough to see bottom pan.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk melted butter a little bit at a time.
- Season with ground white pepper and paprika to taste.
- Garnish with fresh lemon wedge. Serve immediately.